Pages

Thursday, December 21, 2017

Summer Learning Journey Day 2


Day 2 - Activity 1

A House or a Home?

Wharepuni



Q: Does a Wharepuni look like my house? 
A: No, I don't think a Wharepuni looks like my house.

2 Similarities between my house and a Wharepuni
- both have walls, roofs and beds
- it is where people call home

2 Differences between my house and a Wharepuni
- my house is full of technology
- only one family lives in my house

Activity 2

For my dream job I am going to be a Policeman. I want to be a Policeman because I think it will be exciting and you will never know what the day is going to bring.










Bonus Activity - Special Meals


Image result for butter chickenThis is my favourite meal, Butter Chicken. I like this meal because I think it is yummy and I love the sauce.




ingredients

  • 6 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 1″ chunks
  • 1 yellow onion, diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 Tbsp garam masala
  • 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce**** (or one 14 oz can would work)
  • 2 cups cream*
  • salt & pepper
  • lime & cilantro, for garnish
  • naan & rice for serving

instructions

  1. Using 2 Tbsp of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the pieces of the chicken so each side is browned. They do not need to be fully cooked all the way through. Work in batches, and set aside when you’re done
  2. Melt another 2 Tbsp of butter in the pan over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook until beginning to soften — about three minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne. Stir to combine, and cook for about 45 seconds before adding the tomato sauce.
  3. Bring the mixture to a simmer and let cook for five minutes before adding the cream. Bring the mixture back to a simmer, add the browned chicken, and let simmer for 10-15 minutes. Keep the heat low here — not a rolling boil.
  4. Stir in the remaining 2 Tbsp of butter, and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
  5. Serve garnished with lime and cilantro, alongside rice and naan.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Hunter,

    My name's Ruby and I'm one of the people who will be blogging with you over summer as part of the Summer Learning Journey program. It's great to see how well you have been doing with these activities! Well done!

    Activity 1: Great work. I like how you have talked about both your house and the wharepuni being all about family. One of the differences I came up with was that my house has glass in the windows and a wharepuni doesn't have any glass. How do you think the people living in wharepuni would keep out bugs and animals?

    Activity 2: How cool! Being a policeman would be a very exciting job and each day would bring something new and different. One day I want to be a teacher and one of the reasons for that is that every day would be different. Isn't it funny that those jobs are so different but we want them for the same reasons?

    Bonus activity: Butter chicken is delicious! Thanks for providing a recipe. It would be a great thing to try for myself. If I have butter chicken, I buy it from the takeaway store. Do you make it at home?

    I look forward to reading more of your blog over summer.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.