Pages

Thursday, December 21, 2017

Summer Learning Journey Day 1

Day 1 - Activity 1

Maui and Giant Fish

3 Facts about Maui I learnt from the story:

1: Maui had a 'Never Give Up' attitude, even though Maui was often told by his brothers that he was useless and could not fish, he made a net on his own anyway. He wanted to prove his brothers wrong and show them that he could catch fish just like they could.

2: Maui's village thought he was the best fisherman ever, because he caught the biggest fish out of all his brothers when no one thought he could.

3: Maui had very greedy brothers. When Maui left the waka his brothers began chopping and arguing about which part of the giant fish was theirs, the village saw them as very greedy fishermen after that.

Another fact I have learnt about Maui is that some see him as a god other just see him as a human.

Activity 2

A letter to my friend from the Waka voyage

Dear David

The voyage so far has been tough, It is very hard when it comes to my turn to sail the waka because the waves are very strong and it is in the middle of the night so it is hard to see the way to go.
I hope it isn't too much further to go but I am still very nervous about what is to come. I am missing my home and my friends and family but I am hoping that once I get here I can feel at home again, I look forward to hearing from you.

Hunter

Bonus Activity - Waka Ama

I would not like to be in a Waka Ama race, because I think it would be very stressful and hard to co-ordinate all of the people in the waka. There would also be a lot of training and practise before the race.


2 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Hunter and welcome to the Summer Learning Journey programme. We are thrilled that you have joined us this year!

    I really enjoyed reading all three of your activities. Like you, I would imagine that training to be in a Waka Ama race would be very hard work. I actually grew up in Canada so learned how to paddle a canoe when I was a young girl but there is a big difference between paddling a small canoe and moving a huge waka across the water. Have you ever seen a Waka Ama race live?

    I hope that you and your family will have a wonderful holiday season. Hazel, Jade F, Jade C and I will look forward to reading your work and posting comments over the coming weeks!

    All the best,

    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great start to your learning journey Hunter. Maui had a lot of adventures. Make sure you keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.