Pages

Saturday, December 23, 2017

Summer Learning Journey Day 4

Day 4 - Activity 1

The Waiata - A song in your heart

My favourite Maori song

My favourite Maori Waiata is called Aotearoa. Aotearoa is a song by Stan Walker featuring other artists Ria Hall, Troy Kingi and Maisey Rika. 

I like this song because it is fast and I think it a good song about New Zealand being a great country. I also like to listen to Stan Walker. 

Image result for stan walker aotearoa

Activity 2

I have not played any of these games before but they sound like fun.

I think it is very cool that they pass down the games to other generations. It means that at family events everyone can play together.

The game I have chosen to talk about is Ki-O-Rahi.

The purpose of this game is for the teams to score point and try to stop the other team from scoring points so you can win.

2 Rules of the game:
1) you have to move with the ball you can't stand still.
2) if your flag is ripped when you are trying to score you have to hand the ball over.
Image result for kiorahi

Bonus Activity

Ranking of the videos

1) Tamatea Arikinui - I liked this one the best because I liked the Poi dancing in the video

2) Te Iti Kahurangi - I liked this video the second best because everyone seemed very happy and looked like they were happy singing the song

3) Te Puku O Te Ika - I liked this one the least because the people didn't look as happy as the one before.



2 comments:

  1. Hi there Hunter,

    Awesome job on your blog post! I love that song Aotearoa by Stan Walker. It really does represent Maori culture through its lyrics and being able to incorporate Te Reo into a mainstream song today is incredible. Do you sing that song at school? A class that I taught in learnt this song for the school production and the class loved it!

    For activity #2, I love your description of the Maori game. Ki O Rahi looks like a really active sports game! Would you try play this at school? I reckon it would be fun to do for PE.

    Bonus activity, I love how you ranked each performance and had a small explanation for each reason for that rank. Great job! My favourite performance has got to be Tamatea Arikinui as well, as I enjoyed their poi routines as well.

    Looking forward to reading more of your blog posts Hunter!

    Cheers
    Jade F :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No we don't sing Aotearoa at school. I think the we might like to though.

      I would like to play Ki O Rahi at school. I would be awesome.

      Delete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.