Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Summer Learning Journey Week 4 Day 3

Summer Learning Journey Week 4 Day 3

Activity 1

Predator Free 2050 - A call to arms

I like the first video the best because the Cacophony Project make modern technology out of recyclable material. This is fantastic because you are saving the environment at the same time by using things.


Activity 2 

Protecting the Most Vulnerable

The Maui Dolphin is close to becoming extinct.

The dolphin has only one eye on the top of its head to see where its going.

The Maui Dolphin cant swim when it is scared.

The male dolphins are actually smaller than the females, the females can weigh up to 50 kg and grow up to 1.7 m long.

The Maui Dolphin has a finger nail on its fin.

They have their first calf (baby) between 7 and 9 years old and produce one calf every 2 to 4 years making the population increase process slow.

Activity 3

The power of ten

1. White Tiger - I would save the white tiger because it a beautiful creature and is not the same as a typical orange tiger.
2. Black Rhino - I would save the black rhino because it is unique to the white rhino and it would be nice to keep 2 colours of rhino on earth forever.
3. Cross river Gorilla - I would save the cross river gorilla because it is a magnificent creature, they are endangered because humans are invading the spaces where they live.
4. Orangutan - I would save the orangutan because it is known as the man of the forest and I think we should put the original man back in the forest.
5. Whale Shark - I would save the whale shark because it is the biggest sea creature on earth to this day and it would be horrible to lose such a big creature.
6. Leatherback turtle - I would save this species because it is unique, its shell has a leather feel to it unlike other turtles.
7. Polar Bear - I would save this species because they are majestic looking animals, they are vulnerable because of climate change.
8. Snow Leopard - This amazing creature needs saving because it has incredible abilities to leap 6 times the length of its body.
9. Savanna Elephant -  this animal is so large that people are able to see and count the population easily, I would like to see this species saved because it is so large and it is able to use it trunk sort of like a hand which is cool.
10. Vaquita - this is the most rare marine animal on earth, I want to see this species saved because there are unfairly caught during illegal fishing and there are only 30 left in the world!

info from worldwildlife.org 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hunter!

    Congratulations on completing another lot of activities! :)

    I really liked the Cacophony Project video as well. It's amazing what technology allows us to do. My family has land up north (where I'm from) that's surrounded by bush. When I was younger my dad used to take us out possum hunting. None of the traps we set were any where near as high-tech and efficient as this though.

    Isn't it sad that there are only 63 Maui Dolphins left in the world? I hope that DOC's efforts to save them prove successful.
    You've chosen some really interesting facts Hunter. Are you able to come up with three false statements and add them to your post? If you go back and have another read of the activity it asks you to do that.

    That is a really well thought out list Hunter. I like how you've considered how each animal is special, and why they need to be saved. I particularly like your reason for choosing number four. :)

    Keep up the great blogging!

    Talk soon,

    Mikey :)

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.