Pages

Friday, January 11, 2019

Summer Learning Journey Week 3 Day 2

Summer Learning Journey Week 3 Day 2

Activity 1

The Air Up There

Unbee-lievable Facts about Bumblebees

1. The word 'bumblebee' is a compound word (bumble + bee). The word bumble means to hum, buzz or drone.
2. Bumblebees can fly very quickly. They can reach speeds of 54 kilometres per hour (km/h).
3. Bumblebees are very strong! They can carry up to 90 percent of their body weight in food with them to avoid starvation.
4. Bumblebees can do more work and carry more pollen than other bees, including honeybees.  In fact they can do up to 50 times as much as a normal honeybee.
5. The number of bumblebees is declining in New Zealand due to a number of factors, including the removal of wildflowers and flowering trees, habitat loss, and extensive use of pesticides.

nzbct.org.nz

Activity 2

Carbon Sinks don't Stink

Here is a list of foods I would put in my special draining sink
1. All vegetables except corn
2. Kiwifruit
3. Jelly with banana in it
4. Chocolate self saucing pudding
5. Fish
6. Peanut Butter
7. Nutella
8. Peanuts
9. Lemons
10. Cream


Activity 3

Flying Fungi

If there were 7 different kinds of mould found in my classroom and the cleaner said it would take 5 days to get rid of each mould but these can only be done 1 at a time. 

It would take a total of 35 days work.

7 kinds of mould x 5 days to clean = 35 days.

If the cleaner worked 7 days a week this would take 5 weeks.
However if the cleaner worked on 5 days a week it will take 7 weeks.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Hunter,

    It's great to see that you've completing yet another lot of activities! You sure are keeping me busy :)

    Bumblebees are amazing little creatures, aren't they? I didn't realise just how strong they were.

    Wouldn't having a special draining sink be great? Olives and oysters would be the first two things I'd put in there! Are there certain types of fish that you'd put down your's? Or do you not like any of them? I'm not really a fan of battered fish so I think I'd get rid of batter mixture too.

    Well done on correctly solving the 'flying fungi' maths problem! You're the first Summer Learning Journey blogger I've come across that has considered how many days the cleaner works and given two separate answers accordingly - I'm very impressed :) It's great to see that you know what operation to use for problems like this too.

    Keep up the great blogging Hunter.

    Talk soon,

    Mikey :)

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.